As a mom I am a bit (a lot, actually!!) worried, and I am thinking of all the things I should tell/warn my daughter before she goes.
I got some advice on Tuesday’s post, as well as on Twitter:
Ronel (my sister):
- Don't spend all your time overseas in shops, but walk, walk, walk and see all the sights and don't wait for another time.
- Take lots of photos!
- Take time to chat with the locals.
- Hear the sounds and listen to the music.
- You can sleep when back home again.
- Don’t take a red rose flower from a young French guy or any person… they target people and then…just tell her not to take it (Apparently it is not urban legend, but reality. I had to ask.)
- When someone offers you a bracelet, say no, even if they offer it for free, say no!
- Be always aware of the surroundings, and do not go where it feels unsafe. Gut feelings should never be underestimated!
- Also to stay in groups, or in pairs! Always let someone know where you are.
- Do not try to buy stuff for everybody, but rather spend money on experiences and places to see. Buy something special for yourself!
A colleague's suggestion:
- Do not drink too much cooldrink/bubbly (hope not!) in the plane, but rather stay with water. It helps against jet-lag!
My best wishes are going with you, Arnia, and we will miss you!