Having to go to a function where you mostly do not know the rest of the women. Where you have to Oooh! and Aaah! at every little present being unwrapped and at the cute baby clothes and gadgets being held up.
And having to listen to horrendous birth stories…
And then getting yourself terribly uptight when you are not being acknowledged for a present you put a lot of effort into selecting… (I am fickle that way!)
I have started to compile a list on how to survive it, (and actually enjoy it). Because sometimes you have to go because it is a dear friend or family member…
5 Tips on how to survive Stork Parties:
- To have valid reasons for declining the invitation. The following are totally acceptable and should be made law! You don’t have to say anything when saying you can’t come:
- When you are struggling to conceive.
- When you have had a miscarriage.
2. It is great when there is somebody familiar to start a conversation with. Or make a new friend! You can catch up while the proceedings are underway.
3. Hover near the beverages and food. Keep yourself occupied that way, especially when alcohol is available!
4. To cope with the horrendous birth stories, tell your own, and make it as gruesome as possible! Enjoy the look of horror on the face of the pregnant woman. (You are bad, Karen!)
5. When you have other children, bring them along! It makes it easy to excuse yourself while running after them, and also to go earlier…
Do you have more tips to add to my list?
(Graphic: "Stork" - Microsoft clip art)