With hindsight I am really grateful to my parents who always pitched in at school when there was a call for help. Now I really understand the effort on their part!
I have said yes to a couple of volunteering efforts at school, and afterwards felt that I had to overcommit and overextend myself! (The things you do for your children...)
Such as The Fundraiser last year!
One thing I have taken away from all these. It is okay to sometimes say NO! Your children will understand.
I read this nice list over at National Nannies that seems to be a good way to get involved without feeling done in afterwards.
10 ways working moms can volunteer at school:
- Coordinate class parties through e-mail.
- Cut out or prepare things at home.
- Send money to help with a project. (I vouch for this one!)
- Make calls at night.
- Provide extra school supplies.
- Ask your nanny to stand in for you. (If you are as lucky to have a nanny!)
- Join the PTA or PTO at your child’s school.
- Chaperone a field trip.
- Help with set up for an evening event.
- Volunteer to work at the concession stand.
(Read more over at National Nannies)
The best thing that I have learnt is to always try to make an effort, but if it is not possible,
never to feel guilty about it!
I am working because I have to, and because I want to give my child a better life!