I still remember how we used to start exercising vigorously when we used to watch the Olympics when we were children...
Tammy Smith, gymnast and owner of Tiny Tumbles, has posted a list on Kidzworld of Mini Olympics we can do with the children at home. The Toddler still has tiny gymnastics classes each week with Tammy, and I think we will definitely continue as long as possible.
Mieka enjoys it immensely, and I can see how far she has progressed since she started doing the gymnastics.
Tips to help your family to enjoy the fun and games of the Olympics:
1. Some favourite games that can be played:
- Egg and spoon race (with boiled eggs)
- Wheelbarrow race (The biggest of the two holds the second person at the knees while they run on their hands)
- Handstand competition (stand with you back against the wall and place hands on floor. Walk with your feet up against the wall, and see who can hold the position the longest)
- Walking on a low beam or pole at home without falling off (an extra one put in by me)
3. Ball sports:
- Balloon volleyball (helps with hand-eye coordination and much easier to control than normal balls. See how many times you can hit it back and forth without it landing on the ground)
- Pillow fights (on the bed with cushions. If you get knocked down you get tickled.)
You can read Tammy's list here: Mini Olympics Games ideas for children
I am sure there are a lot more Olympics Games to think of.
Do you have any more ideas?