|Quick Corn Bread with Amasi|
(Disney Cookabout Season 2)
In sharing the excitement, Disney Africa send us a basket with all the ingredients (except the egg) to make a Quick Corn Bread. In true African spirit, the ingredients included Amasi (Very popular in South Africa: A fermented milk that tastes like cottage cheese or plain yogurt).It’s time! Disney Cookabout 2 starts on Disney Channel, DStv channel 303 Saturday, 14 October 9.25 am#DisneyCookabout #DisneyAfrica pic.twitter.com/2qNxAv6RYl— Karen du Toit (@karentoittoit) October 14, 2017
I am not familiar with baking with it, but came up with three uses over the past weekend. It works very well with vegetarian dishes!
Quick Corn Bread Recipe
200 g Sweet Corn
1 Egg (beaten)
1 teaspoon Salt
1 ml Paprika
30 ml Sunflower Oil
80 ml Amasi
120 g Self-raising Flour
12 g Maize Meal (coarse)
2.5 ml Baking Powder
30 ml Spring Onion
20 ml Melted Butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degree C
- Place the sweet corn, egg, salt, Amasi, 10 ml melted butter and oil into a bowl and mix.
- Add the self-raising flour, mealie meal, baking powder and paprika and mix to form a dough.
- Add the chopped spring onion and mix.
- Put the dough ball into a small greased loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes.
- Brush with the rest of the butter and serve.
|Quick Corn Bread|
Hubby made chakalaka with wors which worked really well with the bread!
I also used the Amasi this weekend to make a curry bean recipe, as well as curry sauce for butternut on Sunday. It worked well in the place of cream or coconut milk!
|Quick Corn bread which works well with a saucy side dish such as chakalaka|