I was reading Maxabella’s post at Real Bloggers United about her sleep deprived years and that she found that Patience was her partner. I was feeling very smug. It seems they had a much harder time than we are having...
Just for interest sake. I was sleeping on the floor in Mieka’s room, because Dries has BAD BAD flu and he was in our bed. Mieka did not want me to put her down in her cot. So I made us a bed on the floor, and spent the night there. Not very comfortable! I was cold the whole night, while she was burning up with fever... The things you do for sleep!
The tactics we use to get them to sleep (tactics that work):
- Breastfeeding (one of my favourites);
- Rocking them in your arms (although it is not one of Mieka’ favourites);
- Sitting on an exercise ball while rocking them (used when Mieka was smaller.);
- Walking with her on your shoulder while busy in the house (tactic of Dries);
- Driving around in the car;
- Wearing them in a pouch;
- Pushing them in a pram. Back and forth, or going for a walk;
- Lying next to them on the bed until they fall asleep;
- Looking at stars. (added on 2-10-2010)
(Notice that we don’t do the cry out method.)