If you are still unsure about where to spread your kindness this season, there is this campaign you can get behind.
A Christmas campaign has been set up on Thundafund for Maitland Cottage Children’s Orthopaedic Hospital. The campaign aims be to buy a Christmas present for each of the 85 children at the hospital, as well as one big present for the hospital.
Maitland Cottage Children's Orthopaedic HospitalMaitland Cottage Children’s Orthopaedic Hospital is one of two Paediatric Orthopaedic Hospitals in the Southern Hemisphere. Their facility specializes in the FREE medical and surgical treatment of children with physical disability due to disease or accident, including:
- Osteitis (bone inflammation or infection), Acute Osteomyelitis as a result of malnutrition often due to less than ideal living conditions directly related to impoverishment;
- Osteogenesis imperfecta (brittle bone disease), Spina Bifida and complications such as Meningomyelocele often resulting in paralysis of the lower limbs
- Fractures often requiring long term traction -up to 6 weeks- due to the soft bones of these young patients.
- Bone TB which requires up to 9 months of continuous treatment and where non-compliance with medication can result in multi-drug resistance. Many children have to be admitted to ensure compliance where this cannot be achieved at home.
- Orthopaedic disability due to cerebral palsy where orthopaedic intervention is required.
Facilities and servicesThe hospital has 85 beds, with a full operating theatre, where they perform over 550 operations per year. They also run a Club Foot Clinic which treats up to 120 patients monthly. They have a dedicated Physiotherapy Unit.
Read more on MCH's website or on the Thundafund campaign about the history and the work that they do.
|Christmas Card in aid of the MCH Thundafund Campaign|
Every cent collected by the society goes towards this objective – helping to ensure that the hospital keeps operating properly, buying much needed equipment or supplies, or funding building and renovation work to make Maitland Cottage a more comfortable, effective and sustainable hospital for our patients.
Check out the video on the Thundafund campaign.
It states: #BeAMate .... Donate!