It is Friday, and Friday is braai day with hamburgers! (Braai = barbecue in South Africa)
In my vegetarian adventures I have tried all the packet versions of vegetarian hamburger patties out there. Not only does it taste like carton, but my dietitian says they are very unhealthy and very fatty! It is not good for any diet!
I also get tired of mushrooms and eggplants as the go-to meal replacements for meat.
Google is such a great recipe book. Nowadays you list the ingredients that you have, and Voila! You've got tons of suggestions. The All Recipes Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burgers jumped out when I did a search for black bean burgers, and here is my take on it!
EASY BLACK BEAN VEGETARIAN BURGER
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 baby marrows, depending on the size
3 cloves garlic, peeled
pinch cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C and lightly oil a baking tray.
2. Mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
3. In a food processor, finely chop baby marrow/s, onion, and garlic. Add the mashed beans.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
5. Add the egg mixture to the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
6. Bake patties 10 minutes on each side.
|Black bean veggie patties before being baked|
- We did not have green bell peppers, and replaced it with the baby marrows. It tastes very good, and I would definitely use it again in the recipe!
- We did not add as much chili powder as suggested in All Recipes as the rest of the family won't eat it if it's too hot!
- You can grill the patties as well. The suggestion is to put it on foil on the braai!
- We added rocket leaves, tomato slices, onion slices and baked eggplant slices on our burgers with a bit of mayonnaise. Yum!
Tonight is the night we grill it on the fire!
What are you eating on a Friday evening?