I found My Gran's Pumpkin Fritters / Pampoenkoekies recipe while searching yet again for that elusive perfect recipe.
This one worked. Of course I swapped a few things, but this recipe is a keeper. I did not make the sauce, as I wanted the fritters for the main meal, and not a dessert. Check out the original one for the sauce and if you want to make dessert.
(For a family of 6)
Ingredients• 3 cups butternut cooked and slightly mashed, but not too much
• 3 cups flour
• 6 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 tablespoons icing sugar
• 3 eggs
• ¾ cup milk
• pinch of salt
• oil for deep frying
Instructions1. Combine all the ingredients and mix until you have a batter. There must still be a bit of butternut visible, not totally pureed.
2. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and fry spoonfuls of the batter until golden brown and cooked throughout, approximately 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove from the oil and allow to drain on kitchen paper.
4. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon and sugar on top of the fritters.
5. Serve with your main meal.
They are delicious. They are even better today in our lunchboxes.
I am sure the sauce from the original recipe is great. Let me know when you make it?
I will also make this one again!