Tuesday 25 August 2009

Older mom


Yeah! I think Tati is doing its job. Mieka only woke up once during the night. I feel great today.
It feels very strange to do the mom-thing again. I’ve been there, got the t-shirt, and I moved on. I was enjoying the teenager phase, and also me and my new husband’s independence of doing/going where and whenever we wanted. We were enjoying going to the movies on a Sunday night, going for a hike in the Berg or dancing at 10 to 12 pm on a weekend.
But we do not want to change a thing! Now we are in awe of the new being within our midst. I have a feeling of immense gratitude for being given the opportunity to do it again. Thank you, Mieka, for choosing us to be your parents, and to walk with us as part of your journey.
Now we have to make sure that we are able to “walk” with her as long as possible. I find it a bit daunting for not only having to make sure that we stay healthy mentally and physically, but also to make sure that we do not become “techno dinosaurs” in this 21st century. I need to learn how to operate the remote, and not to depend on somebody else to put on my favourite show. Mieka is already very keen to play with the remotes, and I made a joke tonight while she was sitting with a remote in each hand that she is definitely a kid of this century.
There are a few things with regards to being an older mom that count in my favour. I know that they grow up so quickly, and that you have to enjoy it in the moment. I have shared my life with a now 16-year old, and she is spreading her wings already. I am much more relaxed. I do not get upset about every sniffle, and I spend more time just playing with her. The best way to describe the way I feel is one of contentment.
I would have loved to have stayed home with her, but economically it’s impossible in these times. She is already smiling at everyone, and I think she will be very flexible with regards to different situations as well as being socially more skilled. Arnia, her sister, also had to stay with a day mother and crèche, and she is very good at handling herself in new and social situations.
Me, Dries and Arnia misses Mieka during the day, and we can’t wait to be with her at night. I have missed three belly dancing classes in the past three weeks, because I couldn’t bear to leave her, but tonight I have to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments :D

Subscribe via email

Blog Archive

Mommalicious

Blogarama

Blogarama - Friends & Family Blogs