|San Antonio residential suburbs from the air|
We are still jet-lagged after we arrived back in South Africa from our two week holiday in San Antonio. We visited my brother who is staying and working there.
It has been a fantastic holiday and we had so many great experiences!
I feel the same way about America after I have watched Avatar and walked out of the movie theater. Earth did not look as great as the planet portrayed in the movie...
South Africa looks a lot less inviting now...
10 Things we love about America
1. Everything is BIG. The houses, the cars, the shops, the products, the food...
2. There are no fences and no security gates. It is safe there! We could walk in the middle of the city without eyeing every passersby with suspicion that they are going to grab our bags.
3. The streets are clean. They even had a campaign "Don't mess with Texas!", which are still reflected in badges and t-shirts and advertisements.
4. The people are extreme friendly, and a "Thank you!" is always met with a "You're welcome!" (No, we are not as friendly as they are, although we think we are!)
5. The weather is HOT in summer, but there are air-con everywhere! (It's a hot humid temperature!) The sun also sets at about 9 pm in the evenings, which gives them a very long summer's day each day!
6. Everything works there. There is wifi in every restaurant, shop and even the cars have wifi. We stayed connected the whole time!
Online orders get delivered the next day, and you pick it up on your porch.
7. The shops have a huge variety to choose from. The biggest sizes imaginable are available!
8. The highways are going everywhere, and they are big! (No signs of tolls there!)
9. It is green everywhere in summer, and it feels like bush veld when you drive out of the city.
10. There are restaurants everywhere, and it seems the locals like frequenting them. We even had to wait early on a Monday morning to get a table at a favourite breakfast spot, The Pancake House!
They really have a great lifestyle going on there!
- Initial thoughts about America
- Wordless Wednesday #274 - NASA in Houston