Tuesday 30 June 2015

Initial thoughts about America

We are visiting my brother in San Antonio, Texas. It is such a treat!
It is an one-in-a-lifetime experience, and Little Miss keeps on saying, while hitting her head: "Word wakker! Word wakker!" (Wake up! Wake up!)
It feels like a dream...

The Riverwalk in San Antonio. 

With my brother at the Statue of the patron Saint Anthony. 

1. The Americans are very friendly! You always get a "You're welcome!" When saying "Thank you!"
You do not feel as if you are doing them a favour while visiting their establishments. Exactly the opposite!

2. The Texan accent is a bit difficult to get used to. I only caught half of what our River Guide told us yesterday. 


2. The food is definitely bigger here! It is lovely and delicious as well! We are sharing our orders at restaurants. 
I am surprised that the Americans are not bigger because of this! I don't know how they eat that much and stay as thin! 

A lovely quacomole that was prepared in front of us.

3. Pancakes here are what we call flapjacks. Rusks are scones. They don't have Ouma Rusks. 

3. It is hot in the summer here! But there's luckily aircon everywhere! It is especially great since we left a cold South Africa coming here.


4. You drive on highways whenever you are going anywhere. (We tend to avoid our highways because of the e-tolls.)



5. The houses are big, without being fenced in.

6. The cars are big.

7. Everybody is walking around with an iPhone 6.

 8. There's wi-fi everywhere, and it works! Fast! It's the first time I am seeing videos playing automatically on my Facebook feed. I was not aware it was supposed to be doing it! 

9. The cosmopolitan nature of the people here makes us feel very welcome. 

10. The sun sets at half past eight in the evenings in summer! 


We love it here! 


Happy holidays! The 4th of July is coming up!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having lots of fun!

    Yes the food is definitely a lot more supersize! And Texas is quite hot compared to many parts.

    Free wifi lucky you, I wasn't that lucky when I visited a few months ago, I kept asking about the "free" wifi! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely brake from the cold. A whole new world to explore

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same as Mrs FF - no free wifi in NYC and North Carolina when I was there :)

    Love that you're getting to thaw out a bit - still cold over here!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments :D

Subscribe via email

Blog Archive

Mommalicious

Blogarama

Blogarama - Friends & Family Blogs